Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Fears

The definition of a fear is ¨an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.¨ To me a fear is not necessarily something I am afraid of it is more of being afraid of what that thing can do for example I am scared of snakes not because it is a snake but because I have seen videos and heard stories of how dangerous snakes are and how certain species of them are deadly. I think anxiety and being anxious can tie in and relate or trigger some of your fears and phobias. I get anxiety when driving high speeds across bridges because a year ago I was in a serious car accident while going 70 mph across a bridge. I get anxious when talking in front of large groups of people because in elementary school during a play in front of my entire school I tripped and almost fell off the stage in front of everyone. I think my fears come from things that have happened in the past or from things that have happened to my family and people I am close to. My grandma caught the flu from using a public restroom and not washing her hands well enough after and was sick in bed for months I saw how miserable that caused her to be so every time I use a public restroom I never forget to wash my hands thoroughly. My fears come from experience, and I think that is the same for most people. Fears can come from anything. What is important is how you learn to overcome those fears and if you can it will make you stronger.
-Kenna Watts




Fears can take many different forms in us. Like if it’s a fear concerning your body’s health or your mental state and maybe even socially. As someone who has battled with anxiety for a very long time, I am constantly hiding from my fears. The past two years I have been facing my fears, less on the ones that won’t compromise my body’s health and more so the mental and social fears that won’t damage me to a point of staying in a room forever. It is very hard to recognize your own fears and even harder to open up to others because your in fear of them using that against you. This brings me to my first fear, I’ll say, trust issues. Many people today have a fear with trusting each other just as common as the fear of spiders; which I might add is another fear of mine. A newly recognized fear that I have noticed in myself is the fear of missing out or not being included. I also don’t do heights because I’m scared of falling to my death. One of my most massive fears is of failing and not becoming who I aspire to be, and I struggle with this daily and will most likely continue this struggle throughout my life till death. I have many more fears, but if I get into thinking and writing it might stir and anxiety attack and a week to month worth of depression. To finalize, we all face and have ownership of fears because this world has shown us some cruel things and a lot of these fears have connection to each other and connections to some story or trauma in our lives, but we all have the power to overcome and I am still working on all of them. Which is good to be a work in progress instead of a bundle of issues on a couch barricaded.
-Samantha Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graduating Crossroads and Open Doors Seniors in the Class of 2020!!

Graduating Crossroads and Open Doors Seniors in the Class of 2020!! There is a long list of unique, life-long lessons that are yours foreve...

Search This Blog